This page contains useful information for title producer licensing candidates. Please review all the information below and contact us at [email protected] with any questions.  

Who should take the Title Insurance Pre-Licensing Class?

A Title Insurance Producer (TIP) or a Title Insurance Producer Independent Contractor (TIPIC) must first take the Title Insurance Pre-Licensing class before sitting for the Title Insurance Licensing Exam. Both must be licensed by the Maryland Insurance Commissioner to conduct business in the Maryland. It is the title insurer’s responsibility to see that all appointed TIPs and TIPICs are appropriately licensed.​

A TIP is a person (individual or company), including an attorney, who solicits, procures, or negotiates title insurance contracts for compensation or who provides escrow, closing, or settlement services that may result in the issuance of a title insurance contract.

A TIPIC is an independent contractor, including an attorney, who provides on behalf of a TIP escrow, closing, or settlement services that may result in the issuance of a title insurance contract. A TIPIC must be a commissioned notary in order to witness documents.

Who Oversees the Title Insurance License? 

The Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA) oversees TIPs and TIPICs. Learn more, and read more FAQs on the MIA site

Where are the Title Insurance License Application Forms? 

Licensing Forms

How do I register for my exam? 

MLTA will upload your course completion to PSI within 5 days of your final class. The Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA) provides the information below: 

PSI is the MIA's vendor for license examinations. For responses to questions regarding the examination process, or to schedule an initial exam or retake the failed part of an exam, please contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267 or visit PSI's website.

Information on the exams, the exam content outline, the test sites and exam fees are in the Candidate Information Bulletin on PSI's website.

PSI is also the MIA's vendor for pre-licensing services, including course approvals. Information for becoming an approved pre-licensing provider or a list of the approved pre-licensing providers is available at PSI's website.

More Information

Read more online at the Maryland Insurance Administration's website